When creating and maintaining websites, content is the single most important element that you should keep in mind. Without great content, your site would not be visited by people or ranked by search engines.
But even if you are the best writer in the world, there are mistakes that could kill your content.
What are they?
1. Making simple design mistakes.
Simple mistakes with your text can easily kill it. For instance, using an ornate font that makes paragraphs of text difficult to read, or using a text color that has insufficient contrast with your background can drastically lower your readability.
Also having a page display wrong on a certain browser might also cause your text to be unreadable.
The thing is, it is very easy to avoid these simple mistakes. Just make sure that you test your page on different browsers and have people comment on your page first before making it live.
2. Using fixed font size with your CSS.
Most of the time, Webmasters use CSS style sheets to dictate how their pages would look. One of the things that we recommend you should never use is specifying a fixed font size for your page.
The fixed font size effectively disables the browsers’ capability to zoom in or out of your text, all the while displaying your text in a font size that is too small making it very difficult to read.
3. Low scannability of your text.
You may have the best content in your industry, but people simply are not sharing it. It could be because of your text layout that is hard to read.
Remember that you are writing for people who will read your content on computer screens. So make sure that you have text that is easily skimmed. If your content is presented like a thesis or legal decision, then expect people not to linger on your site or come back in the future.
To help you make your content reader friendly, always use these techniques:
- highlighted keywords
- bulleted or numbered lists
- short paragraphs
- easy to understand words
More articles in this topic
Talk about marketing and you will get differing opinions on what works and what is effective. We have seen a lot of success stories as far as marketing is concerned, and this one is no exception. Martell Noblige Cognac brought together different types of marketing to come up with its latest campaign. The theme for […]Read more
When it comes to the environment, we all have to pitch in. While it is best to minimize the amount of waste we produce, there is still garbage that we have to take care of. One of the best ways to dispose garbage is to segregate it. You can always sell recyclable materials such as […]Read more
Parents of kids with autism have many fears. One of them is losing their kids as they wander off to some place they are not familiar with. QR codes have been helping parents with autistic kids. It is a fact that most kids with autism will wander and get lost with their parents. It happened […]Read more
- Three Mobile Apps That Are Making a Splash Right Now
- The Top Ways to Screw up Your QR Code Marketing: Part 2
- In Israel, QR Codes Are Giving Away Free Coffee
- Aussie Bookstore Uses QR Codes to Accommodate Mobile Buyers
- Near-Field Communication to Trump on QR Codes in the Future
- Tarmac Mag Brings QR Codes to Australian Motoring Publication
- Idea: Making Trick or Treat More Fun with QR Codes
- QR Codes Project Win Educator's Choice Award
- Two Reasons Why You Should Have QR Codes for Websites
- How important is it to expose the kids of today to their brand of technology?