In her blog at Health Care POV, speech-language pathologist Angela Desideri shares how quick response codes have become a fun and exciting part of her communication therapy sessions. She also shared some ways on how QR codes can be used in speech or communication therapy, aside from a step-by-step guide on how to create one.
These are Desideri’s suggested therapy activities using the two-dimensional matrix bar codes:
1. QR Codes on Articulation Practice Sheets. Desideri wrote that she generated QR codes and placed them on articulation practice sheets that she created for her students. The students can then use her iPad to scan the codes on their paper and they would be able to practice the target sounds.
2. QR Codes for Expressive Language. Desideri used QR codes to expand app learning. For instance, to go with Toca Band, she generated codes for band members and for the instruments. And to encourage communication, she colored the boxes around each QR code. The students were urged to choose a specific color and they are allowed to scan the code corresponding that color. They were then asked to tell what the code resolved to on the iPad.
3. QR Codes for Story Telling. Desideri printed pages with QR codes on them. These codes, when scanned, directed the students to pictures and they then had to create or tell a story based on these pictures.
Angela Desideri is the co-developer of SpeechTree, which is a research-based AAC or augmentative and alternative communication application for iPad. She is an approved American Speech Language Hearing Association (ASHA) CEU provider. She has presented on the subject of AAC all throughout the country as well as abroad. Desideri works with students from kindergarten to 6th grade who have communication disorders and is an active player in San Diego, California’s local autism community.
More articles in this topic
Talk about marketing and you will get differing opinions on what works and what is effective. We have seen a lot of success stories as far as marketing is concerned, and this one is no exception. Martell Noblige Cognac brought together different types of marketing to come up with its latest campaign. The theme for […]Read more
When it comes to the environment, we all have to pitch in. While it is best to minimize the amount of waste we produce, there is still garbage that we have to take care of. One of the best ways to dispose garbage is to segregate it. You can always sell recyclable materials such as […]Read more
Parents of kids with autism have many fears. One of them is losing their kids as they wander off to some place they are not familiar with. QR codes have been helping parents with autistic kids. It is a fact that most kids with autism will wander and get lost with their parents. It happened […]Read more
- Unsurprising News About Teens Watching More Videos Online Than Ever Before
- A Keychain-cum-Controller - Good For Gamers
- Top QR Code Campaigns for the Second Quarter of 2012 - Part 1
- Set a world record, save a kid’s life
- Making Learning More Fun
- How to Build a Mobile Site
- The Wall Street Journal's Take on QR Codes
- QR Code Commercial That Capitalizes on Curiosity Of Viewers
- Nintendo 3DS Makes Mii Sharing Easy With QR Codes
- We've Exceeded The 1,000 Friends Mark!
Google Android news and discussion.
Deliver latest top technology stories and breaking IT news
Near Field Communication (NFC) news, ideas, projects and technologies.
QR Code, Datamatrix and other two dimensional barcode news and analysis.
Tips, advices, how-to's and DIYs for the latest technologies.